Friday, April 25, 2008

The dry fart that is Iron Man (game)

I was able to play the demo version of the Iron Man game yesterday and I have to say that the game felt off even though visually the game looks half decent. The clumsy controls, in my opinion, are what contribute the most damage to the game. I spent good time trying to get the feel right but even though my customization improved the controls, the game just did not capture my interest. Within 5 minutes of toying with the demo, I hit the PS button, and clicked X to quit the game.

I know some of you will be shouting 'foul ball' because I am reviewing a demo here and not the whole game. True, but demos are supposed to give you the feel for the game and in most cases employ the most favorable parts of the game. Eventually, if I do get my hands on the full game, I will re-review the game. Thats a promise.

I have yet to come across a good game that was based on a movie. Why is this genre of pathetic games still alive? I'll tell you why. There are a host of absent-minded gamers out there that buy games because of hype (Halo 3) and we are approaching the release of the Iron Man movie, so the move by Marvel is predictable. However, I see the movie hurting the image of the superhero. Its like reading a great book and then watching the movie that was made to triumph over the novel but paled in comparison. (Hint: Timeline, Sphere). To all the game studios: Stop making crap this like. But then again, its not their fault. Their pockets are being filled by the gamers that buy this rubbish.

Sigh. Alas, people are but mere sheep in the era of capitalism. I guess I'm old-school and want substance and quality in a product. I figure some will retaliate by saying I'm just not a fan of Iron Man. Not true little kiddos. I was an adamant reader of the comic book and still have them somewhere in storage. I would not have bought them if I wasn't a fan.

My opinion, save your $59.99 and go treat your wife, kids, girlfriend, or whatever to some ice cream. And not that McDonalds shit either. I'm talking Dairy Queen!

No comments: